Friday, November 26, 2010

Love Only Knows- Prologue

There was a moment when his hand slid down my back and his fingers played at the belt loops of my jeans that I thought I was not going to make it home that night. When his deep brown eyes locked with mine it was as if we were seeing each other for the first time, trying to explore every inch of each soul with just one look. I bit my lip, and his forefinger outlined my jaw line.

“I, I can’t not like this, not now.” I whispered as my hand reached up to his chest and pushed slightly away.

“I understand.” He spoke in response, biting at his own lip and backing a half a step. He leaned down and kissed my forehead lightly. With a look of regret in my eyes, I turned and left him standing on the stoop of his building.

Instead of calling a cab to take me back to my house, I started to walk towards home, pulling my cell phone out of my black coat and hitting speed dial 3. Luckily Kirsten answered on the first ring.

“Ari? Hey are you okay it’s like two a.m.”

“Yeah. I’m on my way back from Dan’s.”

“And? How’d it go?” Kirsten was filled with the anticipation that something good was going to come out of this.

“Uh. Well. Kirsten I really don’t know. Most social conventions are telling me that this just isn’t right, and I can’t really tell if we’re in love or what love really is.”

“Ari, what are you talking about? All you do is talk about Dan.”

“I know. And I really do like him. Dan’s amazing, and one of my closest friends.”

“Hon, I’ve been telling you this for a while, Dan’s the right guy for you, you just need to take this chance.”

“But it’s so wrong!”

“SERIOUSLY?” After over a year of this constant banter Kirsten had to have been getting tired of my inability to decipher what I wanted. “Do you want me to bring up the 313 night?”

“Come on, I was drunk, Kirsten. You can’t throw that back in my face.”

“Yeah. And when you drink you always tell the truth, whatever is on your mind no matter what.”

“We can deal with this when I get home. Maybe I just need to walk this off.” I hung up the phone without waiting for Kirsten’s response. She was right. She always was.

I found a park bench and sat down, dropped my head in my hands and tried to remember that night Kirsten loved to bring up.

No comments:

Post a Comment